Monday, April 7, 2014

PAD Day 7: Self-Portrait by Way of 1973

Today's dual prompts from Poetic Asides and NaPoWriMo: (1) Write a "self-portrait" poem, and (2) write a love poem to an inanimate object. I stretched the second prompt a bit and wrote a love poem, or sorts, to a year:

Love Song to 1973

O, momentous year
when I graduated college and married
the love of my life, entered grad school
and discovered the glories of Boston –
I’m listening to a soundtrack
of all the songs you brought me:
“You’re So Vain”, “Drift Away”,
“Goodbye Yellow Brick Road”.
Watergate and Vietnam were still
on our minds, All in the Family
a Sunday night necessity.
I gaze into the mirror and wonder
what happened to the 22-year-old
who was optimistic, still a little naïve,
on the upslope of his life adventure.
I have to look past the paunch,
the thinning hair and gray beard,
but when I hear Dark Side of the Moon
again, it’s a little easier to find him.

No comments: