Sunday, April 21, 2013

PAD Day 21

Today's dual prompts fit together perfectly: (1) Write a "fortune cookie" poem, and (2) write a senryu.  In case you don't know, a "senryu" is a haiku-like poem, usually with a 5-7-5 syllable count, but with a more humanistic theme than naturalistic one.  Also there are fewer restrictions on form (for instance, there doesn't have to be "kigo", a reference to a season).  So here are my "Fortune Cookie Senryu". The upbeat, inspirational messages may not be characteristic for me, bur I guess the beautiful spring day outside and the baby shower for my daughter-in-law at my house are influencing my mood.  Plus, I once wrote a poem called "Cynical Fortune Cookies", so been-there-done-that.



Fortune Cookie Senryu

Don't measure success
by how high you climb, but what
you do where you are.

No matter how stressed
and busy you are, add one 
thing to your list: rest.

Take a walk today,
observe your environment,
report back to you.

Pessimism loves
a vacuum; optimism
thrives best in fresh air.  

Your marriage account:
invest hard work and some tears -
you'll yield dividends.


No comments: